The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Monday 19 July 2010

Majestic Chicago

I am not sure why I like Chicago so much. I am usually more at home in ancient cities where the ghosts of yesterday mingle peacefully with people from the present. But Chicago draws me in – perhaps it’s the bright shops on Michigan Avenue; or the majestic skyscrapers looking down from their dizzying height; or perhaps it’s the breeze that blows in off of Lake Michigan …
USA 230
I am not sure what it is. I do not know if I want to know what draws me to this vibrant city - except that it feels like I am being embraced by a gentle giant.
USA 229
There is so much to do in this city that the three days we spent there this time did not even come close to us having enough time to see all the things we wanted to see. But we sure enjoyed every minute of it.
I was last in Chicago 8 years ago and it was nice to see that not much has changed. However, there were some additions to the city’s majestic skyline - like the new Trump Tower which was exactly opposite our hotel.
USA 034
It felt nice to see, and recognize, some old landmarks like the Wrigley Building, Marina City and the Chicago Tribune Tower which were within walking distance of where we were staying.
USA 022
USA 040
USA 009 
An open-top double-decker bus tour around the city also took us close to such other landmarks as the Chicago Board of Trade, the Chicago Theatre and the John Hancock Building.
USA 046
USA 044  USA 149
Then, towards the end of our tour, we got to see the oldest building in the city: the Water Tower, once the highest building in Chicago, nowadays it is dwarfed by the gigantic modern structures around it.
USA 146
And when the day is done and the sun goes down, it is time to explore the enchantment of the thousands of lights that beckon and flicker, till dawn once again bathes Chicago in sunlight.
USA 250 USA 252 USA 261

15 comments:

  1. My son in law works downtown every day..he takes the L all the way in from Kenosha Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had forgotten what tall buildings are like.
    I love your pics, thanks for sharing a part of the world I will probably never see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such beautiful sights, somehow some of them made me think of old movies : )
    Truly amazing pictures, great shots Loree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we fly to Chicago to visit my in-laws in Wisconsin. But we haven't taken time to appreciate any sights of the "windy city" of Illinois yet. Your post inspires me to allow time for exploring Chicago more next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love these photos. Never been to Chicago (well, I did have a layover at O'Hare International once...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..fabulous shots Loree....awesome!! Very inspiring...looks like a gorgeous city ! Thanks for sharing this adventure...!
    The first couple shots of the water.. look like paintings! and i so love the character of the buildings!! cool!

    yay i am so glad you are baaack and posting again..yippeee..keep em coming!!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very glad I stopped by via Glynnis's blog - I've been lucky enough to visit Chicago twice over the years and I have to say I was completely enraptured by the place - its like one big movie set, the corn on the cob towers, the blues brothers. I travelled around via the trolley bus service and it was absolutely fantastic- everything from the Aquarium to Sears Towers really impressed - thanks for the pics - bring back some very fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been in Chicago just once, and I like the diversity and cultural there. Your photos are gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing these images with us!
    I love Chicago, the lakeside, the art in public places,
    the different neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same as you ! I have been visiting Chicago twice (my aunt lived only 200 km from there in Madison/Wisc) and we alway landed in Chicago. To me it seemed the most beautiful big city I have seen in the States and I think I have seen all the most important once like Boston, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, New York, etc. I think it is the architecture. Apparently all future architects have to go at least once to Chicago. These old with gold decorated sky scrapers are so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - thanks for the pictures. Those buildings are awesome. I've never been to Chicago and didn't think I wanted to, but you've piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures! Thank you so much for the tour. I've never been to Chicago. Considering our lifestyle, I probably never will. I enjoyed getting to see it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, nice photos, Loree! I would like to visit Chicago one day too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm originally from the Chicago area, so many of these photos are quite familiar to me. We often took school field trips to the many museums in the city, and my dad worked in Watertower Place for many years. I think it's a lovely city. Small world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good thinking. Wondering what you think of its implication on society as a whole though? There are times when things like this begin to have global expansion and frustration. Ill be around soon to check out your response. Top Chicago architects

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails