The stories of my life on a little island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea ... and my occasional adventures beyond these shores.

Friday 15 May 2015

Down the garden path and into mystery

On the hill leading from Floriana to Pieta, there is a garden. The entry-way is so unobtrusive that you will almost miss it; and people seem to do so because, most days, it is empty. Even on a public holiday we were the only people there except for two other couples.
Sa Maison Garden 071
It has a name, of course, but I like to call it The Secret Garden. My secret garden. Secret, because it’s almost always deserted and secret because my inquisitive nose has smelt out a mystery (or rather my writer’s soul has created one just for the fun of it; because it would be inconceivable for me to live without a little mystery in my life).
Sa Maison Garden 003
It’s a leafy sort of garden with huge trees providing a cool oasis on the warmest of days. But sadly, it lacks flowers, except for the wild ones which grow out of the most unusual cracks and crannies. For some unfathomable reason, no one thought of planting flowers here; of coaxing rainbows out of the earth. But I have. Because in my most secret heart, I have made it mine and I would fill it with a riot of blooms and colours.
Sa Maison Garden 038
Sa Maison Garden 039
For I would plant hydrangeas and arum lilies in the shaded spots and roses where the sun shines for a few hours and then hides its face. And geraniums of course, in the full light of the sun, because that’s how they like it and no Maltese garden is complete without them. Sunflowers, to follow the course of the shifting light. Rosemary, lavender and thyme for their glorious scent. Succulents at the edge of borders. Pittosporum to form fragrant hedges and bougainvillea, that hardy, quintessential creeper, that requires so little care and rewards us with buckets of blossoms. There would be water-lilies in the renovated pond and a frog or two or three but the carved lions would remain as they are now: pock-marked with age and weather-worn.
Sa Maison Garden 021
Sa Maison Garden 067
I can see it so clearly. My wild, secret garden. With it’s five different levels and its carving on the walls and its stunning views and its crowning glory – a watch-tower from which to survey, well, everything. 
Sa Maison Garden 011
Sa Maison Garden 075
Sa Maison Garden 077
Sa Maison Garden 078
Sa Maison Garden 079
Sa Maison Garden 083
There is so much whimsy here, from the military crests carved into the bastion walls, to remnants of statues and a miniature sculpture of the  Castle of Gibraltar (of all things).
May1
This all-but-forgotten garden below a line of fortifications known as the Bastion of Provence, has it all; and then some. But it could have so much more. If it were mine.
Sa Maison Garden 004
Sa Maison Garden 001
With a sigh I wrest myself out of my newest reverie and slowly walk down the garden path, out the doorway and into the world. For any wanderer’s soul, like mine, visiting this garden always feels like falling through the looking glass. There is something strangely ephemeral about it. A curious feeling that time ceases to be. That nothing is but what is not. So we will bid it goodbye for now lest I continue to wander in the land of dreams.
Sa Maison Garden 002
And what of the mystery, I can almost hear you ask? Well, I think that for now we will leave it be, because mysteries tend to lose some of their lustre with the telling and some secrets have to remain just so. Secrets. Whispered by the breeze in the indifferent ears of time.
Sa Maison Garden 060
Location: Sa Maison Garden, Sa Maison Street, Floriana (May 2015)

7 comments:

  1. OMG............If I come I fear I would NEVER leave!LOVE YOUR GARDEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Loree - gorgeous photos. You make me want to travel to see this wonderful secret garden of yours. Perhaps the mystery lies in the fact that there are no flowers there. Makes me wonder why too?? So glad you shared this wonderful place. Have a lovely week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place ! I could stay there for hours !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Now it won't be secret anymore!!! It's gorgeous, and the views are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah...secrets do lose their lustre when revealed. you left me feeling intrigued. what a beautiful place to just be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place looks a lot like the old Spanish fortress on the tip of the peninsula along our shores - including the palm trees and the old stone walls (but sadly lacking the lions.) I can just imagine the garden you describe - it reminds me a bit of the garden in the movie "Enchanted April." Did you ever see it? The garden surrounding the Italian castle in the movie is magical...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Loree. Secret Garden was my favorite book as a girl. Probably still is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I read and appreciate every one of your comments. I will do my best to reply whenever I can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails